Balsamic Eggplant & Portobellos, Bulgur & Beans
The balsamic, rosemary and honey-mustard glaze gives a sweet-sour tang to the eggplant and portobello mushrooms. The beans add richness and protein to the chewy bulgur. With grated cheese, this is "da bomb!"
- 1 large
- eggplant, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 2 large
- portobello mushroom caps, gills removed and cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1/4 c
- balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 c
- olive oil
- 2 Tbsp
- honey mustard, other sweet mustard, or a combination of honey and mustard.
- 1 Tbsp
- chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tsp
- salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp
- lemon pepper
- 1 1/2 c
- white beans, fresh cooked and drained or rinsed canned
- 1 c
- bulgur wheat, uncooked
- 2 1/2 c
- broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)
- grated cheese to taste (e.g. parmesan, cheddar)
How to Make Balsamic Eggplant & Portobellos, Bulgur & Beans
- 1Prepare the eggplant and mushrooms. Make a dressing of the vinegar, oil, honey mustard, rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the lemon pepper. Toss the eggplant and mushrooms to coat with the dressing.
- 2Distribute the eggplant and mushrooms in a single layer on a large roasting pan. Bake in a 400F oven for 30 minutes. Redistribute and turn over the vegetables and cook another 20 minutes or until glazed and slightly carmelized. The eggplant will be very soft.
- 3While the vegetables are cooking, prepare the bulgur and beans. Heat the broth to boiling and stir in the bulgur. Allow to sit, stirring very occasionally, until the bulgur soaks up all the broth. Add the beans to the bulgur. Taste and add the remaining 1/2 tsp. salt if needed.
- 4Fold the roasted vegetables into the bulgur and beans. Serve hot, topped with grated cheese if desired.