Acorn Squash / Quinoa
The recipe is the same, however I used the microwave to make my squash. Comes out just as delicious!
2 mediumacorn squash
1/2 cuncooked quinoa
1/3 craw, natural almonds
2 Tbspolive oil
1 mediumonion, diced
2 clovegarlic, minced
1/2 tspground cumin
1/8 tspground ginger
1 Tbsplemon juice
1/3 cdried apricots, chopped
·salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Acorn Squash / Quinoa
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Wash squash. Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Brush the cut side of each squash half with 1/2 teaspoon honey. Place squash, cut side down, onto the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, put the quinoa and 1 Cup water into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook until all the water is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a dry medium-size skillet, toast the almonds over medium-high heat. Sir frequently, 3 to 5 minutes. Allow to cool, then chop.
- Heat the oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, and cook until it is softened and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Stir in the cumin, cinnamon and ginger. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Add the onion mixture to the cooked quinoa, stirring until combined. Stir in the almonds and apricots. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, place a squash half on plate and fill each piece of squash with quinoa mixture. Drizzle with honey.