1/2 lbground pork
1/4 ctaco seasoning
1 can(s)fire roasted green chilis (about 4 oz)
1 can(s)chopped stewed tomatoes (about 10 oz)
1 can(s)chopped black olives (put a10 oz can of whole olives in the food processor)
1 can(s)refried beans
1 to 2 cshredded cheese (use pepper jack or colby jack)
1 boxcorn muffin mix (like jiffy)
1/3 chalf and half or milk
How to Make Tamale Pie
- In a large cast iron frying pan, brown the hamburger and pork together salting to taste and add 1/4 of taco seasoning (I use Costco's. You could just use 1 package of taco seasoning if you wanted.)
- Stir in all other ingredients until well combined. Do not drain the tomatoes or chilis but do drain the olives.
- Make the corn muffin mix to the package directions. For a Jiffy mix, you use 1 egg and 1/3 cup of milk.
- Sprinkle cheese over the meat mixture and gently spread the prepared corn muffin mix over the cheese. Bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
If you don't have a cast iron pan, transfer the meat mixture to a well greased casserole dish before topping with cheese and corn muffin mix.
- Serve with sour cream, chopped green onions, salsa and more shredded cheese.