Mexican White Rice
How to Make Mexican White Rice
- Soak rice in bowl of hot water for 20-30 minutes, then rinse until water is clear. Drain for 5 minutes, or until no longer dripping wet.
- Heat oil over medium heat, in a heavy, medium sized pan with a lid. Carefully add the rice, and cook 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add onion, and garlic, and cook approx. 10-15 more minutes, or until rice starts to become a light golden color. Meanwhile, heat the water.
- Carefully add the hot water to the rice; caution, it will splatter. Add bouillon, stir, and bring to a boil. When boiling, cover and decrease heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10 minutes. If using a glass lid, you will see holes in the rice bed where the liquid is evaporating. This is normal. The rice is cooking nicely when you can gently shake the pan somewhat and the rice remains still.
- After 10 minutes, turn off heat, and stir. Check your seasoning. Most of the liquid should be absorbed. Re-cover, allow to sit for another 10-15 minutes to fully absorb all of the liquid. Serve, and enjoy.
- We frequently put the rice in a bowl, add boiled pinto beans over the top, and eat with tortilla chips!!! Also, try this with the sliced banana! You won't believe how good it is!)