Goats Milk Mozzarella
- stainless steel pot to hold 1 gallon
- long knife to cut the curds
- large spoon
- large stainless steel bowl
- 1 gal
- gallon whole milk * if using store bought milk you will need to add 1/2 tsp. calcium chloride to 1/4 cup cool water
- 1 1/4 tsp
- citric acid powder
- 1/4 tsp
- liquid rennet or 1/8 tps tablet ( i used liquid) * if using raw milk reduce rennet by 1/3 to 1/2
- 1/2 c
- cool water, divided in half
- 1 Tbsp
- non-iodized salt (i used kosher salt)
- 1 gal
- cool water
- 1 1/2 c
- plain salt, no iodine !
How to Make Goats Milk Mozzarella
- 1To make the brine, dissolve salt into 1 gallon of cool water.
*** Add ice to this, right before you plunge cheese into it. ***
- 2Put the cool milk into a stainless steel pot. Dissolve citric acid into 1/4 cup of cool water. Stir into cool milk.( Stir in calcium chloride and water mix also if using store bought milk.)On med. heat bring temperature up to 88 degrees F. Remove from heat. Mix rennet into 1/4 cup cool water and while stirring add this to milk. Stir for 10 seconds. NO LONGER !
- 4Place the pot into a sink of hot water and SLOWLY bring the temperature of the curds to 108 degrees F.. Hold at 108* for 35 minutes. You will have to add hot water to sink to keep temp up. Stir every 5-10 minutes to keep the curds from matting together. Drain the curds into a colander and let set 15 minutes.*If you want to save the whey put colander over a deep bowl or another pot before draining.* Mean while put a pot of water on to heat to 155 degrees F.
- 5Dump curds into large stainless steel bowl. Pour the heated water onto curds. Work and stretch the curds using large spoon ( I used a solid rolling pin ) and your hand or another spoon, untill you can form a ball. Once formed put into a cold, salt water brine for 30 minutes. This will cool and salt it at the same time.