Tex-Mex Taco Salad
This version has fresh flavors and a healthy nutritional profile. Vary the heat by varying the type of salsa you use. Baked corn tortilla chips and lime wedges are natural accompaniments.
Tips for Two: Refrigerate leftover beans for up to 3 days. Toss with a green salad or into soup for extra protein; mash with garlic powder and chopped fresh herbs for a quick dip.
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- ablespoons reduced-fat sour cream 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 large plum tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup canned kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
How to Make Tex-Mex Taco Salad
- 1Combine salsa and sour cream in a large bowl.
- 2Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 3Add beef and cook, stirring often, until cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 4Add tomato, beans, cumin, chili powder and salt; cook, stirring, until the tomato begins to break down, about 2 minutes.
- 5Remove from the heat, stir in cilantro and 2 tablespoons of the salsa mixture.
- 6Add lettuce to the remaining salsa mixture and toss to coat.
- 7Divide the lettuce between 2 plates, top with the cooked meat and sprinkle with cheese.