☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- large rabbit
- garlic cloves
- ounces bacon, in one piece
- sprigs parsley
- sprigs thyme
- bay leaf
- tablespoons olive oil
- cup red wine
- cup small onion
- tablespoon sugar
- tablespoon butter
- new potatoes
- fresh herb (chervil)
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon pepper
How to Make Old Fashion Rabbit Stew
- 1Chop rabbit into 12 pieces, discard the head and feet.
- 2Chop the onion and garlic finely.
- 3Slice and dice the bacon.
- 4Make a bouquet garni by tying together the parsley, thyme and bay leaf with string.
- 5Sear the rabbit pieces in olive oil, until lightly browned, remove from casserole.
- 6In the same pan, fry garlic, onion and the bouquet garni.
- 7Add the bacon and allow to color lightly.
- 8Pour off excess fat.
- 9Return rabbit to pan and de-glaze with the red wine.
- 10Add 3 cups water, cover and cook for 1 hour 45 minutes.
- 11Peel small onions and remove root ends.
- 12Rinse well.
- 13Cook the onions in water to cover, add sugar, butter, salt and pepper.
- 14Cook until all water has evaporated and the sauce is caramelized.
- 15Peel and cut potatoes into narrow rectangles.
- 16Add potatoes to rabbit stew after the stew has been cooking for 90 minutes.
- 17Cook covered until tender.
- 18Serve stew with caramelized onions and garnish with chopped chervil.