☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
8ounces bacon, in one piece
3tablespoons olive oil
1cup red wine
1cup small onion
·fresh herb (chervil)
How to Make Old Fashion Rabbit Stew
- Chop rabbit into 12 pieces, discard the head and feet.
- Chop the onion and garlic finely.
- Slice and dice the bacon.
- Make a bouquet garni by tying together the parsley, thyme and bay leaf with string.
- Sear the rabbit pieces in olive oil, until lightly browned, remove from casserole.
- In the same pan, fry garlic, onion and the bouquet garni.
- Add the bacon and allow to color lightly.
- Pour off excess fat.
- Return rabbit to pan and de-glaze with the red wine.
- Add 3 cups water, cover and cook for 1 hour 45 minutes.
- Peel small onions and remove root ends.
- Rinse well.
- Cook the onions in water to cover, add sugar, butter, salt and pepper.
- Cook until all water has evaporated and the sauce is caramelized.
- Peel and cut potatoes into narrow rectangles.
- Add potatoes to rabbit stew after the stew has been cooking for 90 minutes.
- Cook covered until tender.
- Serve stew with caramelized onions and garnish with chopped chervil.