Vongole Mediterranio (Baked Clams & Rice With Saff
You may use cold water instead of the chicken stock but it tastes better if you use the chicken stock.
Clams are my personal favorite shellfish, I just love this dish, I find myself craving it..... Hope you will too.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
2lbs clams, fresh, wash and cleaned (reserve clam liquid & shells)
1/4cup wine, white, dry
1/2teaspoon garlic, finely chopped
1/2onion, sweet, medium, finely chopped
2cups rice, white, long grain
1/2teaspoon saffron thread, good quality
3cups chicken stock
2tablespoons scallions, chopped
How to Make Vongole Mediterranio (Baked Clams & Rice With Saff
- Place clams in a pot with wine and garlic, cover and steam the clams for 5 - 6 minutes (until they open).
- Please, discard any clams that do not open -- they are bad.
- Drain the pot, reserving the liquid and remove the clam meat from the shells.
- Leave some clams in the shell for garnishing.
- Set the clams aside.
- Strain the clam liquid in a sieve that has been lined with cheese cloth, linen or a muslin cloth and reserve the clam liquid.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Saute the onion in butter in an ovenproof casserole for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and saffron to the casserole dish and gently stir to coat with butter.
- Next add the chicken stock and clam liquid to the dish and bring to a boil.
- Stir the rice once, reduce the heat and cover the dish.
- Place the casserole dish in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the casserole dish from the oven and uncover, add the clams and butter to the dish, gently mixing together.
- Re-cover the casserole dish , return to oven and bake for 7 minutes more.
- Remove dish from oven, uncover, sprinkle with the scallions, garnish with the reserved clams in shell and serve immediately.
- A wonderful light meal, served with fruit salad.