Lobster Newburg - Old School
It is wonderful served in pastry shells, over toast, noodles or long grain rice.
Make sure you have lots of soft crusty bread to soak up the delicious sauce. This sauce works well with other kinds of shellfish, crab, shrimp, prawn or langostino.
- cup butter
- tablespoons flour
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon nutmeg
- teaspoon paprika
- teaspoon dry mustard
- cup milk, 2%
- cup cream, half and half
- cup cheddar cheese, grated (may substitute swiss cheese)
- egg yolks
- ounces lobsters, peices, canned
- lb mushroom
- tablespoons sherry wine, dry
- tablespoons parsley, finely chopped, garnish
How to Make Lobster Newburg - Old School
- 1Melt 2 tbsps of butter, add the mushrooms, saute for a few minutes on low, until the mushrooms are tender, then remove from heat and set aside until needed.
- 2Next add the salt, nutmeg, paprika and dry mustard to the flour, mix well.
- 3Using a double broiler, over medium heat, melt the remaining butter and add in the spiced flour mixture, stir constantly until the mixture is smooth about 1 minute.
- 4Mix the milk and cream together and gradually add to the butter flour mixture, stirring constantly until it has thickened and is bubbly.
- 5Then you will add the cheddar cheese and stir well. (watch carefully).
- 6Beat the egg yolks slightly and stir a small amount of the hot cheese mixture into the egg yolks and mix well.
- 7Next pour the egg yolks into the hot cheese mixture, stirring constantly until it thickens again, about 2 - 3 minutes.
- 8Add the mushrooms and lobster, stirring frequently.
- 9Cook for a few minutes until well heated.
- 10Remove from heat, add the sherry, blend well.
- 11Serve over hot rice, garnish with parsley and enjoy.