Lobster Newburg - Old School
It is wonderful served in pastry shells, over toast, noodles or long grain rice.
Make sure you have lots of soft crusty bread to soak up the delicious sauce. This sauce works well with other kinds of shellfish, crab, shrimp, prawn or langastino.
If the sauce is too thick, add some liquid slowly to thin it out to your preference...
1/4teaspoon dry mustard
1cup milk, 2%
1/2cup cream, half and half
1/3cup cheddar cheese, grated (may substitute swiss cheese)
14ounces lobsters, peices, canned
3tablespoons sherry wine, dry
3tablespoons parsley, finely chopped, garnish
How to Make Lobster Newburg - Old School
- Melt 2 tbsps of butter, add the mushrooms, saute for a few minutes on low, until the mushrooms are tender, then remove from heat and set aside until needed.
- Next add the salt, nutmeg, paprika and dry mustard to the flour, mix well.
- Using a double broiler, over medium heat, melt the remaining butter and add in the spiced flour mixture, stir constantly until the mixture is smooth about 1 minute.
- Mix the milk and cream together and gradually add to the butter flour mixture, stirring constantly until it has thickened and is bubbly.
- Then you will add the cheddar cheese and stir well. (watch carefully).
- Beat the egg yolks slightly and stir a small amount of the hot cheese mixture into the egg yolks and mix well.
- Next pour the egg yolks into the hot cheese mixture, stirring constantly until it thickens again, about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and lobster, stirring frequently.
- Cook for a few minutes until well heated.
- Remove from heat, add the sherry, blend well.
- Serve over hot rice, garnish with parsley and enjoy.