Chips Butty with Homemade Chips
Andy Anderson !
As with the Bacon Butty, it’s all about the quality of the bacon; with this recipe it’s all about the chips. And to make this recipe a bit more on the healthy side, we’re going to make our homemade chips in the oven.
- 2 lb
- desiree potatoes
- 2 qt
- 1 Tbsp
- salt, table variety
- 2 Tbsp
- paprika, if you want a bit of a kick use the hot variety
- 1 Tbsp
- salt, kosher variety, or to taste
- 4 slice
- white bread, fresh and soft
- butter, salted
- ketchup or a brown sauce (like hp), to taste
- a good "proper" british vinegar (optional)
How to Make Chips Butty with Homemade Chips
- 3Chef's Note: What's a desiree potato?
It's a very waxy type of potato, more common in Europe that in the US. However, the good ole' red potato, or even a golden potato do quite fine. Just get really big ones, so you can get some hefty potato slices for the chips. It might be tempting to use the russet potato, but don't.
- 4Bring a large pot of water up to a rolling boil, and add a tablespoon of table salt.
- 7Place the chips in a large bowl, season with the paprika, and kosher salt, and then toss to thoroughly combine.
- 12While the chips are baking, toast and butter the bread. It should be noted that many of the shops that serve this tasty treat do not toast the bread… I do.