Stuffed Bell Peppers
So simple and so delicious. They are great any time of the year and can be eaten alone or with a nice side salad.
They are a staple in our house.
- bell peppers - any color
- 1/2 lb
- lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb
- sweet italian sausage
- 1/4 c
- chopped onion
- 1 c
- cooked white rice
- jar of your favorite red pasta sauce
- shredded cheese - mozzarella, asiago, provolone blend
- sour cream - if desired
- ***** see additional notes below *****
How to Make Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1Preheat oven to 375.
Spray a baking dish sized to hold your peppers comfortably.
- 2Combine ground beef, sausage and onion in a saucepan and cook until the meat is done.
When the meat is thoroughly cooked remove from heat and drain.
- 3Add the rice to the saucepan. Add the meat mixture and stir. Put about half the jar of your pasta sauce into the rice mixture and stir to blend well.
- 4Take about 1/4 of the pasta sauce you have left and put in the bottom of the baking dish. Add water so the bottom of your baking dish is covered.
- 5Wash and dry the bell peppers. Slice in half lengthwise. Remove the pith and the seeds.
Set into the baking dish. Fill with the rice mixture.
Top with the remaining pasta sauce then sprinkle shredded cheese over top.
Cover and bake for about 40 minutes. Remove cover and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- 6Top with sour cream if desired.
- 7***** Notes*****
You can use any cheese you prefer. I like to use a blend of cheeses for more flavor.
Depending on how much sauce you enjoy, you may want to increase the amount to 2 jars.