Southern Green Beans with Ham
- 2 lb
- fresh green beans, cleaned with ends off. (can substitue frozen cut green beans.)
- 1 large
- onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- liquified ham fat or bacon grease
- 2 cups
- chopped leftover ham
- 1 c
- water or broth from simmering a ham bone
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Southern Green Beans with Ham
- 1Place a large Dutch oven on the stove at med-hi heat. Add the bacon fat. Add the green beans and onion. Sauté until the onion is translucent, constantly stirring to coat the beans. They will turn a brighter green in the fat.
- 2Add the water or ham broth and ham pieces. Bring to boil then turn down to low and simmer until the beans are tender and the liquid is reduced. Approx 20 mins. If the water evaporates faster than the beans are cooking, adjust by adding water. If there is far too much liquid and the beans are cooking faster than it evaporates, do not cover. Final dish should still be moist but not have a lot of loose liquid. Salt and pepper to taste.