Sausage/Cheese/Tomatoes Baked with Penne Pasta
Andy Anderson !
Okay, I’ll stop singing…
I love the Autumn, and the cold weather it brings because it gives me a chance to experiment with hearty soups, stews, and (in this case) casseroles.
This dish is fairly straightforward to put together, and I guarantee that it will warm the hearts and souls of your family and guests. With lots of bubby cheese, Italian sausage, and tomatoes mixed in with some comforting pasta, this dish has all the right stuff.
So, you ready… Let’s get into the kitchen.
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 lb
- italian sausage, sweet variety, casing removed
- 1/2 medium
- yellow onion, diced
- salt, kosher variety, to taste
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 4 c
- plum tomatoes, peeled & seeded
- 6 large
- basil leaves
- 1 c
- heavy cream
- 1/2 c
- parmesan, finely grated
- 1/4 c
- ricotta cheese
- 1 c
- mozzarella, grated
- 1 lb
- penne pasta, or any other short pasta
- extra mozzarella cheese, for topping
How to Make Sausage/Cheese/Tomatoes Baked with Penne Pasta
- 11Chef's Note: A simmer occurs between 180f-205f (82c-96c). With simmering you'll see bubbles forming and gently rising to the surface, but the liquid is not yet at a full rolling boil.
Proteins are cooked more gently at a simmer as opposed to a boil, which is important because boiled meats will quickly become tough and stringy. This is why sauces, soups and stews with meat in them are simmered rather than boiled.