Grapes & Chops
- 1/2 c
- kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 c
- 2 c
- boiling water
- bone-in pork rib chops, cut 1 1/4 inches thick (8-10 ounces each)
- head of garlic
- 5 Tbsp
- extra-virgin olive oil
- ground pepper - to taste
- 1 lb
- seedless purple grapes, stemmed (3 cups)
- aged balsamic vinegar, for drizzling
How to Make Grapes & Chops
- 1In a large bowl, stir the salt, sugar and boiling water until the sugar dissolves. Let cool until lukewarm. Add the chops and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°. Place the garlic on a sheet of foil and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Wrap tightly and roast until very soft, 45 minutes. Cool. Squeeze the cloves from the skins and mash.
- 3Light a grill and oil the grate. Remove the pork chops from the brine and pat dry. Rub all over with 2 tablespoons of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderate heat, turning once, until lightly charred and just cooked through, 10 minutes. Transfer to plates; keep warm.
- 4In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the grapes and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until they start to burst, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil and half of the mashed garlic and cook, stirring, until incorporated, 1 minute.
- 5Reserve the remaining garlic for another use.
- 6Transfer the grapes to the plates.
- 7Drizzle the chops and grapes with vinegar and serve.