Elaine's Christmas Eve Tourtiere
I usually triple the recipe because it isn’t much more work than making a smaller amount.
I sometimes change the meat to a mix of ground pork, ground turkey, ground chicken thighs, ground lean beef or ground veal. This makes the recipe a bit leaner. Pork is always the main ingredient.
1 mediumpotato, mashed
1/2 cpotato water
1 lbminced pork
1 smallonion chapped finely
1 cloveminced garlic
1 1/2 tspsalt
1/2 tspthyme, dried
1/2 tspsage, dried
1/4 tspdried mustard
1/8 tspground cloves
·double crust pastry
How to Make Elaine's Christmas Eve Tourtiere
- Boil potato in slightly salted water. Drain and reserve 1/2 c. water. Mash potato.
- Combine pork, reserved potato water (if there is not enough potato water you may add more water or stock), onion, garlic and seasonings in a large saucepan. Break up the minced meat as it cooks so that it combines well with the other ingredients.
Bring to the boiling point then lower heat and simmer stirring occasionally for 25 minutes or until surplus liquid is reduced.
- Remove from heat and stir in mashed potato. Taste for seasonings and add salt if needed.
- Chill mixture.
- Prepare double crust pastry for each pie.
- The pies freeze very well before or after baking. If you freeze them unbaked, let them defrost before baking. If you freeze them baked, defrost and then warm in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes.
I often make these pies over a couple of days. I prepare the filling and pastry and chill overnight. The next day I assemble and bake the pies.