40 CLOVE GARLIC PORK SHOULDER BUTT
Rose Mary Mogan
I marinated it with a blend of about 14 different spices plus about 40 cloves of garlic, to add lots of flavor to the roast. It would have been better to marinate it over night, but I got up early & seasoned it, then had it in the oven before noon, to allow it to cook for at least 5 hours.
The aroma certainly did infuse the air throughout the house as it cooked. It was moist & tender. Instead of shredding it, I used my electric knife, no sauce was really needed, unless by choice.
- 8 lb
- pork shoulder butt roast
- 40 clove
- garlic whole & slivers (more if desired)
- 1 Tbsp
- crushed red pepper flakes, coarse black pepper, english mustard powder, granulated onion powder, sumac, marjoram, chopped chive or parsley
- 2 Tbsp
- each granulated garlic powder, cumin, paprika, kosher salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
- dried thyme
- 2 tsp
- 3 Tbsp
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- good quality b b q sauce (optional) if desired
- hamburger buns as desired
How to Make 40 CLOVE GARLIC PORK SHOULDER BUTT
- 1This is the size Roast I used. Measure out all herbs and spices, then blend together, and marinate roast on all sides, being sure to get into the nooks and crannies of the meat, stuffing with slivers of garlic cloves. Use small amount at a time, and reserve any left over spices for a later use, provided it was not contaminated with your wet hands or the meat. Allow Roast to marinate for at least 2 to 3 hours or preferably over night if possible. Cover with wrap and refrigerate till ready to roast. Allow Roast to come to room temperature at least 1 1/2 hours or so before you put into oven. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. just before you are ready to add roast to oven.
- 4Third group of spices, I prefer to buy the large bags of garlic that is already peeled, and keep in the fridge, then I just take out what I need, as needed. Sumac is a Spice from the Mediterranean, red in color, that has a lemony tart flavor, and I love adding it to certain dishes, if unavailable you can either omit it, or use lemon Zest instead. I ordered mine from Amazon. I could not find it in my regular grocery store.