Low Fat Italian Pasta Bake
This was a huge success! I call it Italian Pasta Bake because I didn't have many Ziti noodles in the pantry, but mostly because someone in the family thinks they don't like Baked Ziti. They liked this, so the new name was born!
- 2 lb
- ground white turkey breast
- 24 oz
- sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1-1/2 tsp
- mrs. dash italian seasoning
- 2 can(s)
- prego heart smart spaghetti sauce
- 16 oz
- low fat ricotta
- 8 oz
- no fat cottage
- 1/2 c
- egg beaters, or other egg substitute
- 1-1/2 c
- no fat mozzerella cheese
- 1 c
- italian cheese blend
- 12 oz
- whole grain, protein enriched spiral noodles
- 6 oz
- whole grain, protein enriched ziti noodles
- sea salt
How to Make Low Fat Italian Pasta Bake
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In large skillet, lightly sprayed with olive oil, brown the mushrooms. When they are cooked through, and giving off liquid, remove from pan and set aside.
- 2In same pan, spray again with olive oil, and brown the ground turkey breast. When cooked through, season with the Mrs. Dash; add mushrooms back to pan, and add the 2 jars of Prego Heart Smart pasta sauce; stir well; simmer while you prepare the cheese mixture.
- 3In large bowl, add ricotta, cottage cheese and egg substitute; stir together well. Add the no fat mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup of the Italian blend cheese; stir in well.
- 4Meanwhile bring large pot of lightly salted water to boil; add pasta and cook according to package directions for not quite al dente. Drain well.
- 5Spray 3 quart casserole with olive oil; ladle in about 1/3 of the sauce. Top with 1/2 of the cheese and 1/2 of the pasta;and 1/3 of sauce. Repeat the cheese, pasta and sauce layers.
- 6Cover with parchment paper, and then tightly cover with heavy duty aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the center is bubbly; remove foil and parchment paper; sprinkle with remaining Italian blend cheese and return to oven for about 10 minutes or til cheese is melting on top.