Kraut and kielbasa Casserole Smigus Dyngus Day!
I found this easy recipe by Barbara Rolek. The whole family loves this dish. Something different and packed with deep tradition.
- 2 can(s)
- cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 c
- caramelized onions
- 1 1/2 tsp
- yellow mustard
- 2 can(s)
- 14 ounces each bavarian kraut,drained and squeezed
- 16 oz
- uncooked kluski noodles
- 14 oz
- polish sausage sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 oz
- shredded swiss cheese
- 1/4 c
- bread crumbs
How to Make Kraut and kielbasa Casserole Smigus Dyngus Day!
- 1Prepare your caramelized onions. Low and slow is the best way to bring out the sweetness of the onions. Use part butter and part oil. This will take upward of 45 minutes. When they are nice and caramelized, deglaze the pan with liquid, water,wine,broth,your choice just to get all the bits of wonderful flavor . Set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Lightly coat a casserole dish with cooking spray or oil.
- 3Mix together: cream of mushroom soup, caramelized onions and mustard. Set aside.
- 4Layer half of the kraut in prepared pan.
Layer half of the noodles on kraut, and then half of the Polska Kielbasa.
Spread half of the soup mixture over Kielbasa.
- 5Place casserole on cookie sheet in case it bubbles over.
Cover casserole and bake for 35 minutes.
- 6Uncover casserole and top with swiss cheese and bread crumbs.
Bake an additional 25 minutes.