KICKIN' KLUSKI NOODLES (SALLYE)
It can be a full vegetarian dish, or you can add chicken, shrimp, ham or bacon crumbles if you wish.
12-16 ozkluski noodles
8 ozgrated pecorino romano cheese
2 Tbspfreshly ground black pepper
1/2 mdgreen bell pepper
1/2 mdred bell pepper
1/2 mdyellow or orange bell pepper
3-5 mdgreen onions
4-5 qtboiling water
2 Tbspheaping salt added to boiling water
How to Make KICKIN' KLUSKI NOODLES (SALLYE)
- Remove core, seeds and veins from peppers
Remove outer skin of onions
Rinse and place on paper towel to absorb most of moisture
Cut peppers and onions in thin julienne strips and set aside
Grate cheese and set aside (or you can use pre-grated cheese if desired)
- Place water and salt in large stock pot over medium high heat; allow to come to a robust rolling boil.
Place noodles in boiling water, stirring with wooden spoon to make sure they don't clump together
Cook noodles only until al dente (about 2-3 minutes less than package instructions).
- *** FROM THIS POINT FOWARD, YOU MUST WORK QUICKLY SO MAKE SURE ALL YOUR INGREDIENTS ARE READY & IN EASY REACH* **
- Remove from heat and immediately drain noodles in colander, reserving one cup of pasta water for later use
Return noodles to stockpot; do not place pot back on stove burner.
- Quickly pour pepper and 1/2 of cheese into noodles and stir with wooden spoon until noodles are completely covered with melted cheese
Sir in 1/2 cup of reserved pasta water
Pour rest of cheese into noodles and continue stirring until all noodles are covered with melted cheese. It's okay if there are a few whole clumps of cheese.
If noodles are too dry, stir in rest of pasta water
- Stir in the peppers and onions until well blended into noodles
Can be served as a side dish, appetizer or main dish
- Options: For variety, you can add cooked cubed chicken or cooked salad shrimp.
You can also add sliced black olives (about 1 cup)
Actually, this is a very versatile dish, you can add just about anything that suits your fancy.
- Refrigerate leftovers (also tastes good cole).