GNOCCHI (nokh' kee) DOKEY (SALLYE)
How to Make GNOCCHI (nokh' kee) DOKEY (SALLYE)
- Scrub potatoes and place unpeeled in a saucepan with enough water to completely cover the potatoes.
Boil on medium high heat for about 25 minutes or until potatoes are done. Test with a bamboo skewer, it should slide easily all the way through the thickest part of the potato.
- Remove potatoes from water, remove skins and rice or mash potatoes into a shallow bowl. Set aside to completely cool.
RESERVE POTATO WATER, YOU WILL USE LATER.
- When potatoes are cool, begin preparation to make gnocchi.
- Place potato water and approximately 4 cups of water with 2 tablespoons salt in saucepan on medium high heat to boil.
- Sift flour into mixing bowl.
Make a depression(well) in flour
- Lightly beat egg
- Add potatoes to flour and mix with hands until well blended. Dough will be crumbly.
- Add egg to dough and continue mixing until well blended.
Turn dough out onto cutting board that has been lightly dusted with flour.
Dust your hands with flour and begin to work the dough into ropes about 1/2" round.
- When you have all the dough in ropes, cut the ropes into pieces about 1-1/2" long.
Using a fork, gently press down on each piece to score.
(This will give more surface for sauce to adhere to the noodles).
- Water should be boiling by this time.
Drop the cut pieces of dough into boiling water a few at a time, stirring gently and continuously with a wooden spoon to keep them from sticking together.
Cook in the boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes until they float to the top.
- Remove from water with a slotted spoon or skimmer onto a serving platter or shallow dish.
- Coat with your choice of sauce, or just toss with 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese.