FUSILLI WITH GARLIC PESTO
Recipe & photo: Recipe.com
- 15 clove
- garlic, peeled
- 1/3 c
- lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1 lb
- dried fusilli, gemelli, or tagliatelle pasta
- 1/2 c
- olive oil
- 1/3 c
- pine nuts, toasted
- 2 Tbsp
- finely shredded pecorino romano cheese (1/2 ounce)
- 3/4 tsp
- sea salt
- 1/8 tsp
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c
- small fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 c
- finely shredded peconino romano cheese (1 ounce)
How to Make FUSILLI WITH GARLIC PESTO
- 1In a large Dutch oven, cook garlic cloves in a large amount of boiling salted water for 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer garlic to a blender. Add the 1/3 cup basil leaves to the boiling water and cook for 5 seconds; remove with slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels. (Do not drain the boiling water.) Add basil to blender.
- 2Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook according to package directions. Before draining the pasta, remove 1/2 cup of the hot cooking water and set aside. Drain pasta; return to Dutch oven.
- 3For Pesto: Add oil, 2 Tbsp. of the pine nuts, the 2 Tbsp. cheese, the salt and pepper to blender. Cover and blend until nearly smooth (pesto will be thin).
- 4Add pesto to cooked pasta; toss gently to coat. If necessary, toss in enough of the reserved cooking water to help coat the pasta evenly with pesto. Transfer pasta mixture to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with the 1 cup basil leaves, the 1/4 cup cheese, and the remaining pine nuts. Serve immediately.