Linda's Lighter Quiche
Sylvia Linda Cotter
To save even more fat and calories, don't use a crust, and simply spray the pie plate with Pam or similar cooking spray and layer the ingredients as directed.
This quiche is delicious as a "left-over." Simply warm a slice for 15 seconds in a microwave.
- 1 large
- 9 inch pastry shell or 8 inch deep dish
- 8 slice
- turkey bacon or 8 tbs. pre-packaged turkey bacon pieces
- 1 c
- chopped onion, more or less to taste
- 1 c
- chopped mushroom or other vegetable (optional)
- 8 slice
- reduced fat swiss cheese
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 1/2 c
- fat free half and half
- 1/4 tsp
- ground black pepper
- 1 dash(es)
- ground nutmeg, optional
- 3 large
How to Make Linda's Lighter Quiche
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Bake pastry shell for 8-10 minutes till lightly browned. Remove from oven and reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- 3Fry bacon till crisp, drain, and crumble evenly over bottom of pastry crust. You could skip this step and use 1/2 cup pre-packaged bacon pieces.
- 4Place chopped onion in microwave dish, cover, and cook for 1 minute. Drain and pat dry before sprinkling evenly over bacon in pastry crust.
- 5Place chopped cooked WELL DRAINED vegetables evenly over bacon and onion in pastry shell (mushrooms or asparagus work well). OPTIONAL
- 6Cover all layers with overlapping reduced fat swiss cheese slices.
- 7In a medium bowl, beat eggs, salt, pepper, and fat free half and half till blended. Stir in nutmeg, if desired. Pour mixture slowly over reduced fat swiss cheese slices, carefully covering them edge to edge.
- 8Bake at 325 degrees for 50-55 minutes, till almost set in the center. Check after 20 minutes to see if pastry crust is browning too quickly and cover crust edge, if necessary. When fully baked, the center of the quiche should jiggle slightly, but it should be firm with a texture similar to Jello.
- 9Allow the quiche to cool for 20-30 minutes before slicing. This quiche serves 8.