Spanish Seafood Paella / Paella de Mariscos
- 6 c
- fish broth or clam and shrimp broth
- 1 1/2 lb
- firm white fleshed fish such as cod, grouper, or snapper cut in small pieces
- 1 lb
- squid or calamari cleaned and cut in half inch pieces
- 30 medium
- or large mussels cleaned and de brieded
- 12 small
- little neck clams
- 15/20 large
- shrimp shelled save shells for making the broth
- 1 pinch
- saffron threads about 1/4 tsp.
- 3 Tbsp
- minced parsley
- 6 clove
- fresh garlic diced fine or put through a garlic press
- 3 large
- leeks white part only, cut in 1/2 inch round pieces
- 1/2 tsp
- dried thyme
- 2 tsp
- sweet paprika
- 2 large
- red pimentos seeded and sliced in narrow strips (sweet red peppers)
- 1/2 medium
- sweet onion finely diced
- 3 medium
- roma tomatoes skin removed and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 c
- good quality olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp
- sea salt
- 3 c
- valencia rice or pearl rice
- 1 small
- can fire roasted red pimentos, cut in strips for garnish
- 1 c
- frozen large lima beans or frozen peas, do not use can peas or lima beans.
- 1 large
- lemon cut in wedges for garnish optional
How to Make Spanish Seafood Paella / Paella de Mariscos
- 1First early in the day prepare a fish broth, I use shrimp shells or a fish head (gills removed)from the fish market. I add about 3 quarts of water, a 1/2 onion 3 cloves garlic a bunch of parsley, a piece of green pepper some salt and pepper and bring to a boil. After it starts to boil reduce the flame and slow simmer add 2 tsps. Asian fish sauce, and a good squeeze anchovy paste. cook for a good hour strain and add a bottle of clam juice, stir and reserve for later. Be sure to keep the broth good and hot on a low flame. These ingredients here are not in the ingredient recipe above as this is an easy recipe for fish broth that cannot be found in the store. I will post recipes for fish & chicken broth within a few days.
- 2Make a paste with the parsley, garlic, thyme, 1/2 tsp. salt if you have a mini processor this is ideal if not use a mortar & pestle. After grinding add paprika and a little water to make a paste. Set aside for later.
- 3Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
Next heat the olive oil in a large paella pan or sauté pan add the half of the diced garlic and quickly sauté being careful not to scorch the garlic. Add the fish, and squid quickly sauté about 1 or 2 minutes remove to a platter.
- 4Next add to the same pan a little more olive oil and add the diced veggies pimento strips, leeks, onion, lima beans or peas and remaining garlic cook over medium heat until the veggies are somewhat limp. Next raise the heat and add the tomatoes and cook about 2 minutes more.
- 5Next pour in the rice and stir well in the veggie mix coating all of the rice with the mixture. Now add all the hot broth called for and raise the heat. Bring to a boil for about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.
- 6Now add the fish, calamari and the paste of garlic and parsley and the salt. Stir well taste to see if it has enough salt. Boil for 2 minutes until some of the broth is absorbed. Paella should still have sufficient liquid at this point.
- 7Now add the shrimp, mussels and the clams stir just a bit so the seafood gets mixed in the rice and remove the pan to the hot oven. Cook uncovered until the rice grain is soft about 10/12 minutes for a gas oven and 15/20 minutes for an electric oven. After time has elapsed check rice to see if the all the liquid has been absorbed if there is still liquid remove from oven and set on a medium high heat gas or electric burner and cook for one or two minutes uncovered. Do not stir. Then cover with foil, reduce the heat to low and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes until rice is cooked. Garnish with pimento strips and lemon wedges. Enjoy, Buen Appetito