Traditional Hard Matzo Ball Soup
- whole chicken, or sometimes i use thighs
- stalks celery, broken in the middle
- onion, don't bother to chop
- large carrots, cut in half
- clove garlic, leave it whole and drop it in
- 6 c
- water, or enough to cover the chicken well
- salt and pepper
- 8 oz
- thin egg noodles
- pieces lightly salted matzo, crushed
- 1 Tbsp
- oil, or chicken fat if you want to be authentic
- matzo meal
FOR THE SOUP
FOR THE MATZO BALLS
How to Make Traditional Hard Matzo Ball Soup
- 1Place everything for the soup except the noodles into a large stock pot.
- 2Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until meat is very tender.
- 3To make the matzo balls - place the crushed matzo in a bowl and cover with water. Let soak 30 minutes.
- 5Once chicken is done, remove it and de-bone.
- 6Discard the celery, onion and garlic. I usually slice the carrots into the finished soup.
- 8Start a pot of plain water to boil. Add salt.
- 11Drop the matzo balls into the simmering plain water. They will float when done, about 8-10 min. Drain and cover to keep warm.
- 12Cook the egg noodles in the broth. Add the chicken and carrots back to the broth.
- 13To serve, place one or two matzo balls in a bowl and spoon the soup over.