Orange Cumin Oregano Roasted Chicken
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1 1/2 lb
- whole chicken (cleaned & sit uncovered in fridge for 8 hours)
- 1/4 c
- sunflower oil
- 4 clove
- chopped garlic
- 2 tsp
- dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/3 tsp
- sea salt
- 1/3 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1/3 tsp
- black pepper
- 1/2 tsp
- orange (half used for juice, half for stuffing cavity)
- 1/3 c
- onion (large slices for stuffing cavity)
- celery stalk - (chopped large, used to stuff cavity)
How to Make Orange Cumin Oregano Roasted Chicken
- 1Want a Very Crispy Skin every time then you need to prepare the whole chicken by thawing, cleaning (inside and out), pat dry with paper towel, then put in a large bowl and stick in refrigerator UNCOVERED at least 3 hours prior to baking. The refrigerator will pull the moisture right out of the skin. So it has to be uncovered. I like to have it in there at least 8 hours turning it a few times and draining any excess juices and re-dry chicken and bowl. (make sure no other items touch the chicken so put on top rack and give it plenty of room)
- 2Preheat over to 450 degrees.
- 3Use a shallow roasting pan lined with tin foil. Oil with a teaspoon or so the tin foil so the chicken doesn't stick. Then using a tablespoon of oil rub the whole outside of the chicken.
- 4Place chicken on pan, breat-side up, evenly stuff the chicken, between the skin and meat, with the raw garlic, dried oregano, and butter by gently making a couple slits between the meat and breast meat and slip in the ingredients then massage the chicken's skin till you are satisfied the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- 5stuff the inside of the chicken with the cut up orange, onions, and celery stalk.
- 6then pour the orange juice over the top of the chicken. Then sprinkle the chicken with the salt, garlic powder, black pepper, and cumin. (optional: sprinkle with cayenne pepper too).
- 7Place a few pats of butter on top of chicken.
- 8Over should be good and hot. Place chicken, uncovered, in the middle of the oven. (I cooked this in a medium size electric oven so please find your individual heat - Goal is to Flash brown the outside of the Chicken)
- 9Cook for 15 yo 30 minutes. (I baked my for 30 minutes since I think my over is not really heating to the level it should be) I eyeball the chicken and once the skin is browned, I turn the heat down to 350 degrees and bake for another 45 minutes.
- 10Once you turn down the oven and the skin is crispy you can start basting the chicken with the drippings. I also like to turn the pan so the chicken point in an opposite direction at least once.
- 11turn oven off after 45 minutes, leave chicken in the over, baste one more time, and let the chicken sit for 20 minutes.