Old Fashioned Chicken & Dumplings
- 4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 tsp
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 c
- vegetable shortening
- 2 c
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 7 c
- reserved broth
- 3 Tbsp
- chicken soup base
- salt & pepper to taste
How to Make Old Fashioned Chicken & Dumplings
- 1Boil chicken until just done. Remove from boiling water, reserving 7 cups. Add more water if needed.
- 2Meanwhile, sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in shorting, mix by hand until mixture resembles a coarse meal, should be somewhat lumpy. Pour in milk and blend until soft (biscuit) dough forms. Shape into 2" balls.
- 3Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and return to broth. Add chicken soup base, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil, and drop dough balls, gently into pot so they float across the top. Do not stir.
- 4Cover tightly; reduce heat and simmer over medium heat for 20 - 25 minutes. If mixture is not thick enough, add more flour paste and stir very gently until broth reaches desired thickness.