Main Dishes from the Past: Chicken and Dumplings
Sorry folks but I have never made this recipe. It looks good in the cookbook. I don't know how to transfer pictures to the recipe. Again sorry. I do however plan to make this recipe. Please give it a try and let me know how you like it.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 1 5-6lb ready-to-cook stewing chicken cut up
- or 2-3 lb ready-to-cook broiler -fryer cut up
- 4 stalks of celery with leaves cut up
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1 small onion cut up
- 2 sprigs of parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- snipped parsley
How to Make Main Dishes from the Past: Chicken and Dumplings
- 1In a Dutch oven add water to chicken to cover.
- 2Add celery and next 6 ingredients. Cover; bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until meat is tender about 2+1/2 hrs.
- 3Prepare homemade dumplings; drop from tablespoon directly onto chicken in boiling stalk
- 4Cover tightly, return to boiling Reduce heat; DO NOT lift cover. Simmer 12-15 minutes
- 5Remove dumplings and chicken to platter; keep hot.
- 6Strain broth. In a saucepan bring 4 cups of broth to boiling.
- 7Stir 1 cup of cold water into flour; gradually stir into broth, mixing well. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.
- 8Stir in 1+1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp of pepper
- 9Pour over chicken and dumplings.
- 10HOMEMADE DUMPLINGS: Method:
- 11Stir in 1 cup of all purpose flour with 2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt
- 12Mix 1/2 cup of milk with 2 Tbsp of cooking oil; add with snipped parsley to flour mixture. Stir to moisten