Main Dishes from the Past: Chicken and Dumplings
Sorry folks but I have never made this recipe. It looks good in the cookbook. I don't know how to transfer pictures to the recipe. Again sorry. I do however plan to make this recipe. Please give it a try and let me know how you like it.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
·1 5-6lb ready-to-cook stewing chicken cut up
·or 2-3 lb ready-to-cook broiler -fryer cut up
·4 stalks of celery with leaves cut up
·1 carrot sliced
·1 small onion cut up
·2 sprigs of parsley
·1 bay leaf
·2 tsp salt
·1/4 tsp pepper
·1 cup of all purpose flour
·2 tsp baking powder
·1/2 cup of milk
·2 tbsp cooking oil
How to Make Main Dishes from the Past: Chicken and Dumplings
- In a Dutch oven add water to chicken to cover.
- Add celery and next 6 ingredients. Cover; bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer until meat is tender about 2+1/2 hrs.
- Prepare homemade dumplings; drop from tablespoon directly onto chicken in boiling stalk
- Cover tightly, return to boiling Reduce heat; DO NOT lift cover. Simmer 12-15 minutes
- Remove dumplings and chicken to platter; keep hot.
- Strain broth. In a saucepan bring 4 cups of broth to boiling.
- Stir 1 cup of cold water into flour; gradually stir into broth, mixing well. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in 1+1/2 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp of pepper
- Pour over chicken and dumplings.
- HOMEMADE DUMPLINGS: Method:
- Stir in 1 cup of all purpose flour with 2 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix 1/2 cup of milk with 2 Tbsp of cooking oil; add with snipped parsley to flour mixture. Stir to moisten