How to make Engagement Chicken
- 1 - 4lb. whole chicken
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, plus 3 whole lemons including 1 sliced lemon for garnish
- 1 tbsp kosher or coarse sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- fresh herbs for garnish (4 rosemary sprigs,4 sage sprigs, 8 thyme sprigs, and 1 bunch of flat-leaf parsley)
How to Make How to make Engagement Chicken
- 1Position oven rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 F.
- 2Remove the giblets from the chicken , wash the chicken inside and out with cold water, then let the chicken drain, cavity down, in a colander for 2 minutes.
- 3Pat the chicken dry. Place the chicken breast-side down in a medium roasting pan fitted with a rack and pour the lemon juice all over the chicken, inside and out. Season the chicken all over with salt and pepper inside and out
- 4Prick 2 whole lemons three times each in three different places with a fork and place the lemons deep inside the cavity. Chicken cavity size may vary, so if one lemon is partly sticking out, that is fine. (Tip: If the lemons are stiff, roll them on the countertop with your palm before pricking to get the juices flowing)
- 5Tie the legs together with Butcher's Twine
- 6Put the chicken in the oven, lower the oven to 350 F and roast, uncovered for 15 minutes.
- 7Remove the roasting pan from the oven. Using tongs or two wooden spoons, turn the chicken breast side up. Insert a meat thermometer in the thigh, and return the chick to the oven and roast for about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until the meat thermometer reads 180 F and the juices run clear when the thigh is pricked with a fork.
- 8Continue roasting if necessary. Keep in mind that cooking times in different ovens vary; roasting a chicken at 350F takes approximately 18-20 minutes per pound, plus an additional 15 minutes.
- 9Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes before carving. And here's the secret: Pour the juices from the roasting pan on top of the sliced chicken---this is the "marry me juice".
- 10Garnish with the fresh herbs and lemon slices.
- 11This recipe comes from the cookbook "100 Recipes every woman should know"