Grilled Chicken Fajita Soup
- boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- each: red and yellow bell pepper
- poblano pepper
- sweet onion
- 4 c
- chicken stock, home made preferably
- 1 c
- tomatillo salsa
- 2 c
- cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2-1 tsp
- lemon juice
- 1/4 dash(es)
- 1/4 c
How to Make Grilled Chicken Fajita Soup
- 2I marinated the chicken breasts for about 4 hrs., overnight would be fine. Slice peppers and onion in strips, you can cut strips in half for shorter pieces; I did this AFTER I grilled them.
4 c water
2 Tbsp. reduced sodium Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp liquid smoke
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp ground ginger (powder not fresh)
1 Tbsp. fresh crushed garlic, about 2 cloves
2 Tbsp. chopped, fresh cilantro
1-3 dried Mexico Chile pepper
1-dried pasilla Chile pepper
FOR MARINADE: Crush dried peppers in food processor. Finely chop cilantro and garlic. Mix together with all other ingredients.
- 4Allow chicken to rest, then slice in strips and cut strips in half.
Meanwhile, warm chicken stock in large soup pan. If using store bought stock, you may need to season. In small sauce pan melt butter, add flour and stir together to make roux. Pour about 2 c of stock into roux and mix well, remove any lumps. Add this back to your soup pot. Add tomatillo salsa and mix. Add grated cheese; make sure your soup is good and warm, but not HOT. If it is too hot is will make the cheese separate. If cheese starts to become stringy, add about ½ tsp of lemon juice and stir well. Repeat if necessary. Taste and add salt if needed.
Now add chicken and veggies to soup pot and heat about 10 min on low heat.