Exotic One Pot Chicken
Its oriental spices give it an authentic exotic flavour.
Make it in advance and it just gets better....
1 kgchicken pieces, skin on or off
1 Tbspvegetable oil
15 gfresh root ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips
3 clovegarlic, finely sliced
80 mlrice wine or dry sherry
125 mlchicken stock
1 Tbsprunny honey
60 mllight soy sauce
3 Tbsporange juice or the juice of 1 clementine
2spring onions, thinly sliced
·rice or mangetout, to serve
·a handful of cashew nuts for garnish
How to Make Exotic One Pot Chicken
- Heat a large frying pan. Fry the chicken in the oil for 4-5 minutes on each side, until brown and caramelised - transfer to a plate.
- Drain all but the 1 tablespoon of fat from the pan. Add the ginger, garlic, rice wine, stock, honey, star anise and soy sauce and bring to the boil.
- Add the orange or clementine juice and chicken and, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes until cooked through. Turn the chicken after 15 minutes so it cooks evenly.
- Remove the chicken from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Bring the liquid back to the boil and cook for 2-3 minutes to reduce the sightly.
- Remove the star anise. Return the chicken to the pan. Stir to coat the chicken in the sauce. Sprinkle with the spring onion and cashew nuts and serve on a bed of rice and mangetout, or french cut green beans.