Elegant Chicken Casserole with Sour Cream Sauce
Originally we used full fat dairy products, and large real eggs. Due to dietary concerns with some of the family, we went to light dairy and egg substitutes and the light version of the cream of mushroom soup.
We always serve some kind of cranberry dish with this. My favorite is a cranberry/raspberry compote that I will be adding to JAP soon.
8 ozpkg of poultry herb seasoned stuffing
3 ccooked, cubed chicken or turkey
1/2 call purpose flour
1/4 tspsea salt
1 dash(es)white pepper
4 cchicken stock (home made or fine quality boxed)
1 & 3/4 cegg substitute
SOUR CREAM SAUCE
1 can(s)healthy request cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cskim milk
1 clight sour cream
1/4 cpimiento, diced (optional)
How to Make Elegant Chicken Casserole with Sour Cream Sauce
- Place stuffing in greased 13X9" pan.
- Top with the poultry of choice.
- In large saucepan, melt the butter and and whisk in the flour, salt and pepper.
- Slowly whisk in the stock and whisk over med-low heat until thickened.
- Stir a small amount of the hot liquid into the egg substitute, twice; whisk the egg mixture into the hot sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the poultry. (Can be covered tightly at this point and refrigerated overnight. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before beginning baking.)
- Bake at 325 for 50 to 60 minutes. Check be certain the center is set before removing from the oven.
- Mix all ingredients for the sour cream sauce together, and heat slowly, stirring until smooth. Do not allow to come to a boil, or it will separate. Gently stir in the pimiento, if desired. I generally double the sauce for our family and serve in a gravy boat along side the casserole.