Elegant Chicken Casserole with Sour Cream Sauce
Originally we used full fat dairy products, and large real eggs. Due to dietary concerns with some of the family, we went to light dairy and egg substitutes and the light version of the cream of mushroom soup.
We always serve some kind of cranberry dish with this. My favorite is a cranberry/raspberry compote that I will be adding to JAP soon.
- 8 oz
- pkg of poultry herb seasoned stuffing
- 3 c
- cooked, cubed chicken or turkey
- 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp
- sea salt
- 1 dash(es)
- white pepper
- 4 c
- chicken stock (home made or fine quality boxed)
- 1 & 3/4 c
- egg substitute
- 1 can(s)
- healthy request cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 c
- skim milk
- 1 c
- light sour cream
- 1/4 c
- pimiento, diced (optional)
SOUR CREAM SAUCE
How to Make Elegant Chicken Casserole with Sour Cream Sauce
- 1Place stuffing in greased 13X9" pan.
- 2Top with the poultry of choice.
- 3In large saucepan, melt the butter and and whisk in the flour, salt and pepper.
- 4Slowly whisk in the stock and whisk over med-low heat until thickened.
- 5Stir a small amount of the hot liquid into the egg substitute, twice; whisk the egg mixture into the hot sauce.
- 6Pour the sauce over the poultry. (Can be covered tightly at this point and refrigerated overnight. Allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before beginning baking.)
- 7Bake at 325 for 50 to 60 minutes. Check be certain the center is set before removing from the oven.
- 8Mix all ingredients for the sour cream sauce together, and heat slowly, stirring until smooth. Do not allow to come to a boil, or it will separate. Gently stir in the pimiento, if desired. I generally double the sauce for our family and serve in a gravy boat along side the casserole.