Crispy Southern Fried Chicken
Blue Ribbon Recipe
This chicken is going to be a hit at your next picnic or family reunion! The flavors in the breading blended together just perfect.
We did remove the skin before soaking and battering. This chicken is delicious! The Test Kitchen
- fryer chicken, cut up or your favorite pieces (I use about 4 to 6 bone-in chicken thighs)
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 c
- 1 1/2 to 2 c
- 1 large
- 1 to 1 1/2 c
- self-rising flour
- 2 tsp
- onion powder
- 1/2 tsp
- garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp
- black pepper
- 2 tsp
- chicken soup base
- 2 tsp
- Paul Prudhomme's poultry magic or other poultry seasoning (optional)
- canola oil for frying
How to Make Crispy Southern Fried Chicken
- 1In large plastic container, dissolve 2 tablespoons salt in about 2 cups water. Remove skin from chicken pieces (optional) and place in container. Add more water if necessary to cover chicken. Place lid on container and place in refrigerator for about 1 hour.
- 2Pour milk into a bowl. Add egg and beat with fork till fairly smooth and set aside. In another bowl add flour, seasonings and soup base. Mix well with fork. Dredge chicken pieces in flour mixture, then dip in milk and egg mixture. Roll in flour mixture.
- 3In a large deep iron skillet add oil to about 1" deep. Heat oil to about 375 degrees and add chicken pieces. You must do this in batches of about two pieces of chicken at a time, so as not to overcrowd your pan. Cook chicken about 7 to 8 minutes per side or until juices run clear. Transfer chicken pieces to serving platter. You may also use a deep fryer set at about 350 degrees. Add only a couple of pieces at a time and cook for about 15 minutes or until juices run clear.
- 4ALTERNATE METHOD: Heat oven to about 400 degrees. In cast iron skillet, brown chicken pieces in hot oil. Transfer chicken pieces to a broiler pan coated well with cooking spray and bake for about 20 minutes or until juices run clear. Remove from oven and transfer to serving platter.