Classic Roast Chicken
14 pound whole roasting chicken
2 tspunsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 tspfresh thyme, minced
1 tspground coriander
2 tspextra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tspblack pepper, freshly ground
2 clovegarlic, minced
3shallots, peeled and halved
3fresh thyme leaves
How to Make Classic Roast Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Discard giblets and neck from chicken. (Save for another use if desired) Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breasts and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
- Combine butter and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) in a small bowl. Rub mixture under the loosened skin, over flesh; rub over top of the skin.
- Tie ends of the legs together with cooking string. Lift the wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack; place rack in roasting pan. Place shallots, thyme sprigs, and lemon in cavity of chicken.
- Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 450° (do not remove chicken); bake at 450° for 15 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in meaty part of leg registers 165°.
- Remove chicken from pan; let stand 10 minutes. Discard skin if you are watching your fat intake, eat it if you just can't resist the crispy skin! Carve chicken.