☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 4 pound chickens (pastured if you can get them)
- 1 Tbsp
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 4 clove
- fresh parsley
- green onions
- fresh sage
- any other herbs in the garden
How to Make Classic Clay Cooker Roast Chicken
- 1Soak the clay cooker in water for 10 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, Pick the herbs, rinse, and chop. Peel the garlic and leave the cloves whole. Remove the chickens from their wrappers, remove the "innards" and rinse.
- 3Place the chickens in the cooker. Put the garlic cloves in their cavities, and cover with the minced herbs. Pour the olive oil over the chickens.
- 4Place the covered clay cooker in a cold oven, and turn the temperature to 425 degrees. Roast for 2.5 hours. You will smell it when it is close to done, but check to see the leg joint is not pink.
- 5Serve with Rice and a Green.
- 6You can add fruit (peaches or oranges) or an acid (juice or a vinegar) to change the flavor.
Once dinner is done, remove the remaining meat, and put the bones in a stock pot with the liquid left over from cooking. Simmer over night. The next day, drain the stock.
- 7In a bowl place left over rice, left over chicken, and any other vegetables you have. Ladle broth over it. I usually run out and pick some spicy greens, rinse them and slice them, then put them in the bowl. In about a minute you will have a fantastic soup.