CHICKEN AND BROWN RICE CASSEROLE
- 1/2 pkg
- (8 oz.) peeled baby carrots, chopped
- 3 medium
- leeks, halved lengthwise, rinsed, drained, and thinly sliced (white parts only)
- 3 clove
- garlic, minced
- 3/4 c
- 2 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1 can(s)
- (14-1/2 oz.) chicken broth
- 4 oz
- cream cheese, cut up and softened
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 2 tsp
- finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 pkg
- (8.8 oz.ea.) microwavable cooked brown rice
- 2 or 3 medium
- chicken breasts, pre-cooked
- 1 Tbsp
- 1/2 c
- panko bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
How to Make CHICKEN AND BROWN RICE CASSEROLE
- 1Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray over medium heat. Add carrots, leeks, and garlic; cook 6 minutes or until tender.
- 2Place milk and flour in a screw-top jar; shake until combined. Add milk mixture and chicken broth to skillet; cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly.
- 3Whisk in the cream cheese until melted. Stir in lemon juice and lemon peel. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 4Spoon the cooked rice into a 2-qt. baking dish; break up any clumps. Pour cream cheese mixture over rice. Pull the meat into large chunks and arrange over rice mixture, gently pressing pieces in.
- 5In a small bowl, melt butter in microwave for about 30 seconds. Add panko and stir to coat. Sprinkle over casserole.
- 6Bake in a preheated 375-degree oven for about 18 minutes, or until golden brown. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and lemon peel.
- 7NOTE: This recipe can be make in a healthier version by using non-fat milk, reduced-sodium chicken broth, and reduced-fat cream cheese. Can also use a whole roasted chicken, skin removed.