Chef Andy's Technique Class: Velveting Chicken
Andy Anderson !
I HATE it when that happens.
The process is simple to perform, and the only thing you have to do is let it sit for about a day. Velveting chicken is not new, but this recipe incorporates a twist, based on one of my favorite Chinese chefs.
So, you ready… Let’s get into the kitchen.
How to Make Chef Andy's Technique Class: Velveting Chicken
- Chop the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
- In the bowl of a food processor, fitted with an S-blade, or a blender, add the egg white, rice wine, and salt.
- Blend on high, until the mixture is smooth and rather thick, about 60 seconds.
- Add the chicken to a bowl, and then pour the egg mixture over the chicken.
- Toss to thoroughly coat, cover the bowl, and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- VELVETING THE CHICKEN
- Add the water and peanut oil to a large pot, and bring to a simmer, but not a boil.
- Add the chicken and stir in the liquid until they are almost, but not quite cooked through, about 30 to 45 seconds. Do NOT overcook the chicken.
- Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon, and then drain on a paper towel.
- At this point, you need to begin the stir frying, so make sure you have everything you need to complete your particular dish.