How to Make arroz con pollo
- 1In a large bowl, toss the chicken pieces with the lemon or lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper and marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pot over medium flame. Pat the chicken pieces dry and sauté then in small batches to brown on all sides. Remove to a platter and set aside.
- 3Add a little more oil to the pot if needed and sauté the onion, peppers, garlic and optional ham until the onion is translucent but not browned.
- 4Stir in the rice and tomatoes and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Then add the stock or water, olives, peas, oregano, salt and pepper. Lay the browned chicken pieces over the top. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat and let rest, covered, 10 minutes. Toss all the ingredients gently with a fork, garnish with the chopped cilantro and serve.