Unspecified Asian-ish Hamburger Thing
This is an unauthentic Thai inspired but adaptable dish. Kids wanted 'hamburger-macaroni thing' for dinner. I added roasted eggplant to beef up the dish (haha, get it?) & increase the veggie content since I only had 1 lb of ground beef. Tonight I tried Thai flavors: garlic, lime & chili. I didn't have enough rice noodles so I made basmati rice. Not sure they eat basmati in Thailand but it's quick cooking! For a change, try curry powder or Italian seasonings! Use ginger, soy sauce & sesame oil = Chinese! Easy & fun - enjoy! (we had NO leftovers)
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- eggplant, cubed (peeled or unpeeled - your choice)
- cooking spray
- 3 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- large onion, chopped
- 1/4 c
- garlic, chopped
- 1=2 lb
- ground beef
- 1/2 c
- lime juice
- 1 Tbsp
- thai basil (or whatever you have handy)
- 1/4-1/2 c
- sambal oelek (chili paste)
- 4 - 6 c
- rice noodles or rice, cooked
- salt to taste
How to Make Unspecified Asian-ish Hamburger Thing
- 1Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with foil & spray with oil. Add cubes of eggplant in a single layer. Spray the eggplant with cooking spray. Roast for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 2Heat oil in Dutch oven. Over medium high heat, saute chopped onion until translucent.
- 3Add chopped garlic & ground beef. Stir & crumble beef thoroughly until cooked.
- 4Add seasonings of choice (see Personal Note). Simmer on low heat while preparing starchy component. Stir occasionally.
- 5Add roasted eggplant to ground beef mixture.
- 6Cook rice noodle, rice, pasta...whatever... according to package directions or to taste.
- 7Check beef mixture for seasoning & adjust as necessary. Serve over starchy component of choice.