Creamed Cabbage and Ham Casserole
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 cminute rice prepared
5-6 ccabbage - cook until tender
2 Tbspolive oil
2 cchopped onion
3-4 cham chopped
2 cfine shredded swiss cheese
2 cfresh bread crumbs
How to Make Creamed Cabbage and Ham Casserole
- Cook Minute Rice according to package instructions. One cup will make 2 cups cooked.
Cook cabbage until tender, drain
- Grease 9 x 13 inch casserole. Put rice in bottom and spread it out. Put cooked cabbage on top of rice and evenly distribute it.
- In a bowl combine 2 tablespoons of the butter and the bread crumbs and set aside. I use sliced bread that is getting stale and tear it up into small pieces rather than the fine bread crumbs.
- In a frying pan cook onions in remaining butter and olive oil until soft. Stir in flour, salt and pepper stirring constantly. It will quickly form a paste like product on the onions. Stir in the milk and continue cooking and stirring until mixture thickens and boils for 1 minute. Add ham and heat 1 minute more.
- Pour over the top of the cabbage and spread it out evenly. Cover with the swiss cheese. Top with the bread crumbs and bake at 350° for 30 - 45 minutes until it is bubbly and the bread is starting to brown a bit.