12 largefresh green chilies or whole canned green chilies
8 ozmonterey jack cheese or queso fresco cut into long narrow strips
8 ozgreen chili enchilada sauce
12 ozshredded melting cheese
1 cfresh ground spelt flour
3/4 cfresh ground popcorn, aka cornmeal
1 tsprumford's baking powder
How to Make Chili Rellenos
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt, and then add the cornmeal.
- Blend milk with eggs in a separate bowl.
- Then combine milk mixture with the dry ingredients and blend together.
- (Sometimes more milk is needed to provide a smooth batter that clings to the chilies.)
- Roast chilies in oven or over gas stove top flame until black.
- Sweat in a plastic bag and seal it, or place in a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap.
- Then peel the chilies, leaving the stems on.
- Open a small slit below the stem and remove seed if desired.
- Insert strips of cheese into the chilies, using care to not split them.
- "Sew" shut with a toothpick.
- Place on paper towel to drain.
- Prepare the batter.
- Preheat oil or lard to 375 degrees in an electric skillet of frying pan.
- Dip the stuffed chilies in batter and place directly in frying oil and cook till golden.
- Drain on absorbent paper towels.
- Place on oven safe serving plate and top with green chili enchilada sauce and shredded cheese.
- Put in warm oven and bake until cheese is melted.
- This can also be done in a large baking pan if desired.
- Serve with Refried Beans