Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
3 lblean ground chuck
2 tspcelery salt
1/1/2 ccrushed unsalted crackers
2heads cabbage (2lb. size)
6 qtboiling water
3 cchopped onion
2 bottle12oz. each- chili sauce
1 jar(s)12 oz. grape jelly- 1 cup
How to Make Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- In a large bowl, combine chuck, slat, pepper, celery salt, catsup, eggs, and crushed crackers. Mix with hands until mixture is well combined
- Cut out and discard hard center core of cabbage. Place cabbage in a large kettle and pour boiling water over it; let stand until leaves are flexible and can be removed easily from the head-about 5 minutes, if necessary return cabbage to hot water to soften inner leaves
- Preheat oven to 325* Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop, scoop a scant 1/4 cup meat mixture; with hands form into rolls, 3 inches long and 1 inch wide; making about 28 rolls in all.
- Place each meat roll on a drained cabbage leaf; fold top leaf over meat, then fold sides, and roll up into and oblong roll. Continue rolling remaining meat rolls and cabbage leaves
- In bottom of a lightly greased 12x11x2 inch roasting pan, spread chopped onion evenly. Arrange cabbage rolls in neat rows on top of onion
- In a 2 quart saucepan; combine chili sauce and grape jelly, with a 1/4 cup water; heat over medium heat, stirring to melt jelly. Pour over cabbage rolls.
- Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake 2 hours. Remove foil brush rolls with sauce; bake uncovered 40 minutes longer, or until sauce is thick and syrupy and cabbage rolls are glazed. Makes 28 cabbage rolls... or 14 servings . Enjoy!