Nana's Burgundy Beef
1/2lb bacon, diced and fried
2lbs stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes, dredged in seasoned flour
1cup carrot, sweet, diced
1cup celery, sliced
1cup onion, coarsely chopped
1/2cup potato, diced
2tablespoons ketchup, tomato
3cups red wine, burgundy is best
1teaspoon salt (for seasoning flour)
1/2teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground (for seasoning flour)
How to Make Nana's Burgundy Beef
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Brown the floured and seasoned beef in the hot bacon fat.
- Place the vegetables and ketchup in a saucepan, pour in the wine to cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put the browned meat and vegetable mixture into a covered casserole, add the bay leaf and the garlic and bake for 2 hours.
- Remove and cool then place in fridge.
- Let sit overnight in the fridge and warm the next day for best results.
- Lovely served as is or over steamed rice or noodles.