Mousaka casserol layered with a twist!
4small sized yukon gold potatoes
1/2medium diced onion by hand
2tablespoons fresh cut parsley tops,flat leaf type
1garlic clove sliced thin put in tablespoon of olive oil in a eggcup(i use this cause its handy)
1/8teaspoon powdered nutmeg
6ounces pizza sauce,half a jar
9inch baking dish,very lightly buttered
1 1/2cups of bechamel sauce
How to Make Mousaka casserol layered with a twist!
- In a non stick fry pan pre heat to medium and put in olive oil and garlic from the cup stir for less than 15 seconds so it does not burn but is light brown.
- Add ground beef and diced onions together brown and drain grease, set aside.
- Put ground beef mixture into pan again with 1/2 jar of pizza sauce, stir 5 mins. at lower heat so pizza sauce won't burn then put in a bowl, add parsley in and set aside.
- Now make your béchamel sauce I used 1 1/2 cups from one of the many on just a pinch.
- Using a small food processor with a salad shooter, peel and slice potatoes,layer in a very lightly buttered casserole dish.
- Pour béchamel sauce on potatoes.
- Now put quartered raw eggplant top and bottoms removed into salad shooter, layer on top.
- Put ground beef mixture to cover all of raw eggplant.
- Use grater attachment on processor to grate 4 oz of mozzarella - low moisture part skim, comes in block form.
- Sprinkle on top cover, tightly cover with heavy foil.
- Bake at 375 for 50 minutes total, uncover last 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.