Grison Beef Stew - Swiss
It was been posted for the ZWT-7 tour of Switzerland. This robust beef stew, from the mountainous Grison Region, is perfect to keep out winter chills.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
11/2lbs beef brisket
1cabbage, large, leaves left whole
8ounces bacon, cooked and cubed
1/2cup onion, sliced
1/2teaspoon pepper, black, fresh ground
1pinch ground nutmeg
1cup red wine
1cup beef stock
How to Make Grison Beef Stew - Swiss
- Cut out the main stem of the cabbage and discard the thick stems of the outer leaves.
- Wash well and boil for 5 minutes in salted water, drain and reserve.
- Heat the butter in a heavy ovenproof casserole dish and fry the bacon and onions for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the bay leaves, salt, pepper and pinch of nutmeg.
- Cut the meat into thick slices and place on top of the bacon and onion mixture.
- Add the wine and beef stock, bring it to a boil and simmer for 1 hour.
- Now add a layer of cabbage leaves, cover tightly and simmer very gently for another hour.