Golabki (stuffed cabbage)
How to Make Golabki (stuffed cabbage)
- 1Mix hamburger & pork mixture with cooked rice or stuffing mix and minced garlic & onion. Add salt and pepper to taste. (I found by accident, the stuffing mix makes the cabbage rolls more moist)
- 2Core the cabbage head. Put in large pot with water covering at least 1/2 of cabbage head. put side down were you corded stem in water and bring to a boil. Peeling off leaves as they soften and put on a paper towel on a plate to cool. In 9 X 13 pan, put steamed leaves you couldn't use to make a roll on bottom of pan.
- 3Take leaves and cut through the white vein to thin out not cut off. With leave in head put a spoonful of meat mixture on the end were white vein has been thinned. Take white vein side and fold up over meat. Now tuck one side leave across meat mixture and than other side over meat and roll all upward. Continue till all meat mixture is used. Now layer the cabbage rolls seam side down in pan over cabbage leaves.
- 4Pour a large can of diced tomatoes over mixture and a thinned out can of tomato paste and water. Put in a 350 degree oven covered for 45-60 min.
- 5Can be served with boiled or mashed potato's and rye bread.