Golabki (stuffed cabbage)
1 largehead of cabbage
3/4 ccooked rice. or 1 bag sage & herbed stuffing mix
1 1/2 lbeach ground hamburger & ground pork mixture
1 largediced onion
2 cloveminced garlic
How to Make Golabki (stuffed cabbage)
- Mix hamburger & pork mixture with cooked rice or stuffing mix and minced garlic & onion. Add salt and pepper to taste. (I found by accident, the stuffing mix makes the cabbage rolls more moist)
- Core the cabbage head. Put in large pot with water covering cabbage head. Put side down were you corded stem in water and bring to a boil. Peeling off leaves as they soften and put on a paper towel on a plate to cool. In 9 X 13 pan, or Crockpot put steamed leaves you couldn't use to make a roll on bottom of pan.
- Take leaves and cut through the white vein to thin out not cut off. With leave in hand put a spoonful of meat mixture on the end were white vein has been thinned. Take white vein side and fold up over meat. Now tuck one side leave across meat mixture and than other side over meat and roll all upward. Continue till all meat mixture is used. Now layer the cabbage rolls seam side down in pan or crockpot over cabbage leaves.
- Pour a large can of diced tomatoes over mixture and a thinned out can of tomato paste and water. Put in a 350 degree oven covered for 45-60 min. Or cook in Crockpot low 8 hrs or till cabbage soft and meat cooked.
- Can be served with boiled or mashed potato's and rye bread. ENJOY!