Elsie's Eggplant Dirty Rice
The amount of onions and other seasonings are "to taste". I lightly added black pepper when I added the meat, when adding the eggplant, and at the end with the other spices.
- 1 large
- eggplant, peeled, cut in approx. 1/2" pieces
- 1 lb
- ground beef (or turkey)
- 1 large
- yellow onion, diced
- 3/4 c
- rice, uncooked
- 2-3 clove
- garlic, chopped
- salt & black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 Tbsp
- olive oil (or canola oil)
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp
- cayenne pepper, ground
How to Make Elsie's Eggplant Dirty Rice
- 1Start rice cooking in a small sauce pan.
- 2While the rice is cooking, on medium to medium high temperature, in a medium sized (10-12") cast iron skillet place oil. When the oil is heated (not smoking), add chopped onion and saute. After the onions are slightly cooked, reduce heat to medium and add ground beef (or turkey) to cook. Do not over-stir.
- 3Chop the eggplant into approximately 1/2" size pieces and add to meat when it is about three-fourths of the way cooked. Cover mixture and let it continue cooking on medium heat until the eggplant is tender. Again, do not over-stir.
- 4When the rice is cooked, stir in approximately 2 cups of the cooked rice to the eggplant and meat mixture. Add chopped/crushed garlic, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Cover and continue cooking on LOW heat for approximately 10-15 minutes to allow flavors to blend.