Country Style Steak Like Granny Used to Make
1 to 2 lbcubed beef steak
1 call purpose flour
·canola or vegetable oil for browning meat
lbsalt and pepper to taste
GRAVY (NOTE THAT THESE MEASUREMENTS MAY NOT BE EXACT. USE YOUR OWN JUDEGMENT)
1/4 cshortening, lard, or bacon grease
1/4 call purpose flour
2 to 3 cmilk
How to Make Country Style Steak Like Granny Used to Make
- Wash and pat dry cube steaks. Sprinkle with salt and dredge in flour, set aside. In large skillet, brown the cube steaks in hot oil a couple of minutes on each side, then lay into slow cooker and set aside.
- In deep skillet (I use a cast-iron fryer), melt grease. While grease is melting, mix flour with salt, pepper, and sugar. When grease is melted, add flour mixture and brown well, stirring constantly. Add milk while stirring constantly. Continue to stir and bring gravy to a boil, but Do not allow to thicken.
- Pour gravy over browned cube steaks and add additional salt and pepper, if desired. Turn slow cooker on high and cover. After about 1 hour, turn cooker down to low and cook for about three more hours, gently stirring occasionally.
- About the last hour of cooking, check on the gravy. If too thick, thin down with a little water or milk, stirring or whisking gently. If too thin, mix a couple of tablespoons cornstarch with water to make a pourable paste. Slowly and gently stir into gravy. You must be very gentle when stirring so as not to break up the tender meat too much.
- When gravy is the desired consistency and meat is tender, turn slow cooker off or to keep warm. Serve over rice or mashed potatoes and with your favorite veggies.