☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
3lbs boneless veal rump roast, tied
1/2teaspoon sea salt
1/4teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2tablespoons olive oil
1/3cup shallot, minced
1cup dry vermouth
11/4cups chicken stock
1/2teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2teaspoon dried thyme
2tablespoons brown sugar, packed
10ounces white pearl onions, peeled
1lb baby carrots
3small turnips, peeled and wedged
2large parsnips, 1 " pieces
How to Make Melt in your mouth - Caramelized Root Vegetables
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Sprinkle flour over meat and rub to coat well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour olive oil in large pan on medium high heat and brown veal well on all sides.
- Remove veal from pan and place in dutch oven or roasting pan and sprinkle with paprika and let sit.
- Add the shallots to frying pan and cook for 3 minutes, stir in vermouth and 3/4 cup of chicken stock, bring to a boil.
- Pour over veal roast.
- Sprinkle rosemary and thyme over roast.
- Bring veal roast to a simmer over medium heat, cover and bake in oven at 325 degrees for 1 1/4 hours.
- Melt butter and sugar in frying pan, add onions, carrots, turnips and parsnips.
- Coat vegetables well and season with salt and pepper, add the remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock and bring to a roaring boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, (or until all liquid has evaporated) stirring frequently.
- After the veal roast has cooked for 1 1/4 hours add the root vegetables all around the roast and bast the vegetables with the veal juices.
- Cover roast and return to oven for another 30- 45 minutes.
- Let veal rest, covered with tin foil for 10 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables.
- Reduce sauce and reserve.
- Slice veal and add to platter with vegetables.
- Drizzle with sauce and enjoy.