Beef Tips with Rice and Gravy with a Twist
Andy Anderson !
Oh, by the way, this one of my stick-my-head-in the-test-kitchen-fridge, see-what-I-got, and what-can-I-make-out-of-it recipes.
So, you ready… let’s get into the kitchen.
- 1 lb
- sirloin tip (stew meat or round steak)
- 1/2 c
- flour, all purpose
- 1 tsp
- ground cumin
- 1 tsp
- ground mustard powder
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 4 Tbsp
- grapeseed oil
- 2 c
- beef stock, not broth
- 1 Tbsp
- franks hot sauce (or your favorite)
- 1 medium
- yellow onion, sliced
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 2 c
- long-grain white rice, cooked according to package directions
- sour cream, for garnish
How to Make Beef Tips with Rice and Gravy with a Twist
- 2Chef's Note: Most of recipes begin with gathering all the ingredients together. That's called: Prepping (I'm sure that you know that). However, this initial step may take some time, but it really makes the preparation of the dish easy, and actually a lot of fun. I talk about this in my free iPad book:
- 11Chef's Tip: The trick, when you're browning the meat, is not to have the pot so hot, that the fonds go from brown to black. The temp should be no higher than medium, but if you think those fonds are about to blacken, remove the pot from the heat and allow to cool down a bit. If you blacken the fonds, you'll have to start all over again.
- 17Chef's Note: Some people like a bit more gravy, so they use 3 cups of stock. I've done that on the odd occasion, and it gave me a lot more gravy to dip my crusty bread into.