Beef Stew with Wine
- olive oil
- 2 lb
- chuck roast, cubed
- onion, diced
- herbs of choice (i used rosemary and thyme from the garden)
- 2 clove
- 1/2 bottle
- red wine
- 2 box
- beef broth or mix beef and chicken
- sweet potatoes, white potatos and /or butternut squash
- peas, carrots, mushrooms, pearl onions or any vegetables of choice
- leeks (optional) sliced thin
- 2 Tbsp
- tapioca starch(or corn starch)mixed with a little water.
How to Make Beef Stew with Wine
- 1Preheat the oven to 350. Cube the roast into large bite size pieces. Use a large dutch oven and heat some olive oil in it. When shimmering, add some of the meat (do not dredge in flour) and cook about 5-8 minutes until browned, turning after the first few minutes. Place in a platter or bowl, then cook more of the meat. Do not crowd it.
- 2Once all the meat is browned, add the onions and saute for a few minutes, adding oil if necessary. Add the garlic and saute another 30 seconds, then get your bottle of wine ready-pour it on in! half of a bottle give or take, to your liking.
- 3Now add the broth. Tie up your herbs, if using whole ones, with string and drop in. (Or just add your dried ones). Add about 1 Tbsp. of salt and some pepper.
- 4Put the dutch oven in the big oven and forget about it for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Some time during this wait, peel the potatoes and carrots and cut into chunks.Cut up any other vegetables that need it at this time. Have them ready.
- 5Carefully remove the amazingly hot pot from the oven. Add your cut vegetables and any other broth (or water) needed to cover everything in the pot. Or close to it.
- 6Put it back in the oven for another hour. This would be a good time to make some garlic bread or biscuits. And a nice salad. Set the table. Use cloth napkins just for fun. Maybe light some candles. Did you make a dessert?
- 7Remove from the oven. Remove the herb bundle. Scoop all of the vegetables out, leaving the broth behind. Mix the tapioca flour and water with a whisk to make a mixture for thickening. Put the pot on the stove and bring the broth to a simmer. Add the tapioca mixture and whisk into the broth until thickened. Pour it over the meat/vegetables in the serving bowl and enjoy!